ICTS endeavors to provide all faculty, students and staff with a modern, fully networked computing and IT environment for academic use.
Users of ICTS computing, networking, and IT facilities are expected to abide by the following rules, which are intended to preserve the utility and flexibility of the system, protect the privacy and work of students and faculty, and preserve our right to access the international networks to which the system is connected. In case of complaints, appropriate action to be taken will be decided and taken by the person in-charge of the facility in consultation with the Director as appropriate.
- Faculty, staff, and students with authorized accounts may use the computing and IT facilities for academic purposes, official work, and for personal purposes so long as such use
- does not violate any law, Institute policy or IT Act 2008 of the Government of India.
- does not interfere with the performance of Institute duties or work of an academic nature (as judged by the ICTS Director).
- Users are expected to respect the privacy of other users and they may not allow any other person to use their password or share their account. It is the users’ responsibility to protect their account from unauthorized use by changing passwords periodically and using passwords that are not easily guessed. Sharing of passwords for any purpose whatsoever is strictly prohibited. Users may share the required files through a sharing software with proper Access Control List.
- Any attempt to circumvent system security, guess others passwords, or in any way gain unauthorized access to local or network resources is forbidden. Users may not use another person’s computing account, attempt to forge an account identity or use a false account or e-mail address.
- Transferring copyrighted materials to or from the ICTS systems without the express consent of the owner is a violation of international law. In addition, use of the internet for commercial gain or profit is not allowed from an educational site. If done so, it will be the sole responsibility of the user.
- Downloading and installing of new software has to be done with the explicit consent of the respective facility in-charges. Installation of unlicensed software on ICTS facilities, or on individual machines connected to the ICTS network, is strictly prohibited.
- Setting up of any facility requiring password transmission over clear text is prohibited without TLS/SSL encryption.
- To the extent possible, users are expected to use only their official email addresses provided by ICTS for official communications with other members of the Institute.
- It is forbidden to use electronic mail and other network communications facilities to harass, offend, or annoy other users of the network, including impeding their computing systems, software, or data. It is also forbidden to send emails or messages masquerading as another person or to hide the sender’s identity. Chain (Anonymous origin) letters are not allowed. Neither is any form of commercial advertising or soliciting allowed. Spamming is strictly disallowed. Subscribing to mailing lists outside the Institute is an individual’s responsibility. Subscribing someone else to any group outside ICTS is illegal.
- To the extent possible, users are expected to connect only to the official ICTS WiFi network for wireless access. Setting up of unsecured Wi-Fi systems on the ICTS network is prohibited in accordance with a Government of India ban.
- Users are expected to take proper care of equipment and are expected to report any malfunction to the staff on duty or to the in-charge of the facility. Users should not attempt to move, repair, reconfigure or modify the workstations.
- Display of offensive material (either on computer screens or through posters etc.) is strictly disallowed and serious action will be taken against offenders.
- Violations of policy will be treated as academic misconduct, misdemeanor, or indiscipline as appropriate. Depending upon the nature of the violation, the institute authorities may take an action by issuing a warning through disabling the account. In extreme cases, the account may be completely deleted and/ or the user prohibited access to IT facilities at ICTS, and/ or sent to the Institute disciplinary action committee as constituted by the Institute authorities.
- The policy may change as and when it is considered appropriate and new policies or the changes in policy will take effect immediately after a brief announcement by any means, e-mail, printed notices, or through the newsgroups.